3. Fitting the workshop

The area available was about 70m2. I decided to have a 3 meter long work bench of smooth concrete. It enables 3 people to work handbuilding at the same time. I also had a back door put in to a very small courtyard where to sit at tea break. And of course the electricity had to be installed to accomodate a professional kiln and a couple of potters wheels.

The meter had to provide for a three phase 380 volts power. As there was no electricity in that barn before, it was fairly easy to install it as required. I had it done allowing for 3 potters wheels although I only bought 2. It left room for expanding!

Water had to be brought in from the kitchen of the house some 20m away and a tap installed on a sink. As the whole building had to have a new drainage, I had a sceptic tank installed. The road had to be cut open to allow for the workshop drainage to join in with another system across the road.

The kiln I bought from a ceramics wholesaler in France called Ceradel, had been made in England by Pottery Crafts in Stoke-on-Trent. It had been delivered to me and left outside the studio until one day when a kind carpenter volunteered to help me with it. He used his machine with a telescopic arm to lift it and place it inside the studio nicely. I owe him a big favor.

Comments

Popular Posts